Buying a Caravan or Motor home with Finance Option.
All types of leisure vehicles and caravans have design faults no matter what make, type or brand. It is inevitable that you will have to return your treasured and desired leisure home at some for a repair.
Water Ingress appears to be a significant issue with most caravans and motor homes. It appears that many vehicles experience water ingress within the first year of manufactures warranty.
The buyers financial agreement explained:
- The dealer has a contract with the Manufacturer or their finance provider.
- You as a customer has a contract with your Dealer or Finance provider.
When you visit a dealership or exhibition to purchase a caravan or motor home they usually add onto the price a Pre Deliver Inspection (PDI).
A PDI is basically a full check over the caravan or motor home. The dealer has a responsibility to ensure that your caravan or motor home is fit for purpose and safe to use.
We know how exciting it is when your looking to buy a new caravan or motor home, just don’t rush into it.
Here are just a few tips which you should strongly consider:
- Never pay cash for caravan or motor home.
- Always pay a deposit on your credit card. Your credit card provider will have insurance should the caravan not be what its suppose to be.
- If finance is offered for purchasing the caravan you should strongly consider it.
- Only ever part exchange your caravan/motor home after you’ve had it checked by a register and qualified engineer. This way you’ll already know if your vehicle has faults. (sometimes excitement can encourage you to make the wrong choice.)
- If the sellers decide they want more money from you when go to collect, We recommend you walk away. (if you’ve paid your deposit above £100 on your credit card, you will be able to claim it back)
- Have a good look around your new purchase for damages and defects.
- Check the windows of your new caravan or motor home on the day of collection.
- Do not accept any type of paint repair on your new leisure home. (you wouldn’t accept a repaired brand new car)
- Ask the handover person to perform a damp check of your new leisure home in front of you, even if its brand new.
When you buy your caravan or motor home with a finance company, your finance company have a duty to make sure that what your buying is fit for purpose and fit for use.
We advise that you should keep your lump some in your bank account.
We recommend water ingress warranty in the first year should go back to the dealer.
If you have to return to a dealer a third time for a repair,you should report this to your finance company as you now enduring unnecessary costs.
Report any issues to you credit card company. Fill in the forms from your credit card provider. Take copies of your forms and send them to your finance company with a covering letter explaining your issues. You must include all of your costs, loss of use and any holidays of which you have had to cancel.
A good finance company (and from experience they are good) they will cover all costs of your losses and should compensate you for loss of use.
Visit www.approvedworkshops.co.ukfor your local approved mobile engineer. These engineers will save you money long term.